DR. VIDYA. H. N
DR. PUTTARAJU. K.
CRAFTING CAMPUS Understanding - STRATEGIES TOWARDS CREATION OF CAMPUS SUSTAINBILITY
FULL TEXT OF THE PAPER
" First issue in the design of a new campus is never to create new structures, but to make a shared perspective towards sustainability".
INTRODUCTION -In a University campus each scholar has a distinctive role that can be played in making the campus a lasting place. You can incorporate ideals of environmental responsibility in the campus. Students can be made to involve straight by joininga sustainability action team or form their own golf club or forum and become a sustainability leader through adoption of impressive sustainability goals. A college or university can create responsiveness of sustainability goals by engaging the campus community in sustainability understanding programs. Students can be made attentive towards making individual work in minimizing the ecological stress in the campus. All the Staff, faculty and students should exert alongside one another to reduce energy ingestion, promote waste lowering strategies, alternative transportation options, and other sustainability initiatives in office buildings, classrooms, labs, libraries, structures, residences and in personal lives.
The pursuing was the original methodology used by our Institution
INITIAL CAMPUS ACTION PLAN-
- Identifying the in-campus habit for each college student.
- Determining group behavior.
- Identifying the student's present degree of conceptualization of sustainability
- Listing the making them aware of the idea of sustainability
- Finalizing the skills towards orienting the campus habit towards sustainability with an action plan
After these steps were initialized as our Organization got steps to strategize the idea.
THE STRATEGIES OF ACHIEVING CAMPUS SUSTAINBILITY
To participate the campus community in the execution of sustainability goals and activities, certain strategies were required that could be performed through.
- Our Establishment provided peer support to sustainability programs of each department.
- Provision for environmental education & programs that promote sustainability was adopted Environmental studies as a subject was launched through Mysore college or university.
- Motivation through creative imagination to recognize new procedures and initiatives to promote sustainability was taken up through orientation programs to fresher students.
- Here these were offered opportunities to switch ideas, experience and strategies.
- Our Institution known and rewarded successes. Honor of Excellency to departments and Student volunteers was mooted
- To Reduce energy intake, all students made to turn off the equipment and lighting when they leave their category rooms.
- To reduce Greenhouse gas emissions local students were encouraged for taking cycles to college or university instead of bicycles.
- A beautiful internal campus garden was thus developed. It also served as demonstration gardens to showcase the wonder and variety of edible landscaping design in a campus placing.
- Additionally, the landscapes provided service opportunities for scholar volunteers to serve n your garden in their leisure time.
- The flowers of the rose garden are used in functions to welcome the dignitaries & for decorative purposes
- The blooms are also used to worship the goddess Saraswathi idol inside the campus garden.
- The herbal plant life such as hibiscus & tulasi help the environs with healthy air.
- The Trees and shrubs of teak, neem & asoka are aiding the campus with oxygen & drinking water sustainability.
PROCESS Stages OF PROGRAMME
A formalized process for improving sustainability in our school campus was done in stages. Phase One experienced targeted outreach. -This included identifying and providing support for students, volunteer scholar leaders, building learner capacity and interacting with all stakeholders. The Stake holders such as Parents, Alumni, & college development Council users were persuaded of the concept of campus sustainability.
Phase Two, helped campus sustainability activists create basic understanding and broaden outreach programs. NSS university student volunteers were involved in campus cleaning activities. Faculty became a member of hands with peer support.
Phase Three, assessment with all departments developed into a coherent Action Plan. Upon this basis the campus was made greener every calendar year& our School could fetch the Best maintained garden award.
CAMPUS SUSTAINABILITY Benefits ACHIEVED
- All students strive to switch off the lights when they leave their category rooms.
- All students voluntary themselves to first deposit waste in specific areas only. .
- In the computer lab students turn off their Computers completely by the end of your day.
- The Office has set all printers and copiers to default double-sided setting.
- Using Cycle inside campus -Toward promoting sustainability on campus, on the style of Hyderabad campus was launched the "cycles on campus" but most of the students come from far off places they are really supported by Consumer transportations center.
- Our institution has the intention of placing your order high efficiency multi-purpose machines to combine printers, faxes, scanners and copiers.
- All faculty & administrative staff carry a reusable water container with them.
- All faculty have establish their Laptop or computer & screen to go into standby method after 15 minutes of inactivity
- Several of the Faculty can Leave the car at home & take a walk in the second session of the faculty.
- Use day light to light your office instead of Pipe lighting & CFLs.
- Using 100% post-consumer recycled newspaper for use at work is
- All faculty carry their own luggage for shopping outside the campus.
- Students should avoid squandering food inside the campus.
- Reducing the wastage of stationery inside the campus is slowly but surely picking up
- Watering the crops through channels with waste normal water recycling.
THE OUTREACH METHODOLOGY
Our Establishment is trying towards enhancing the style in addition through Interesting the faculty and students in research and creative projects in campus Sustainability. Such as for example conducting environmental art exhibitions, energy conservation demonstration jobs such as solar streets lighting, solar hot water for hostels, solar thermal food preparation, institutional biogas vegetation, electrical mobility, etc, implementing a drinking water Harvesting System etc. All these initiatives will lead to end result such as lowering the negative environmental impact of the school or university, Conserving the school money, educating and empowering students therefore creating a ecological era for future.
Campus sustainability is the necessity of the hour and is also one of key concentration areas for sustainability initiatives. These initiatives will make a ecological difference in campus areas and can assist students to give attention to building capacity at individual level and institutions at large. These strategies will drive inclusive progress and enable establishments and people to work at achieving their full probable. These effort will also try to increase awareness among the list of university student community on the problem of sustainability, to keep carefully the campus clean and inexperienced while improving the overall health of the student community. A holistic approach, more commonly including social, financial and traditional environmental things to consider in sustainability goals must become a part of the syllabi in the campus. Colleges and universities throughout the world are making the concept of campus sustainability a reality. These initiatives are influencing curriculum decisions, functional budgets, facility ideas, and campus culture. Students, faculty, & personnel are leading these earnest attempts. Certainly bringing about a campus culture is a difficult work, requiring coordination and assistance yet one common motivation towards reaching sustainability will follow.
- Poyyamoli- G- A crucial review of campus sustainability in India- a street map for future years A critical review of campus sustainability in India- a highway map for the future
- Bantanur shaila & others -Sustainability issues in Indian colleges of Higher education
- Brundtland Payment. ( 1987) World fee on environment and development. Our common future. Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press; 1987.
- Leal Filho, Walter (ed. )( 2012 )Sustainable Development at Universities: New Horizons Series:Umweltbildung, Umweltkommunikation und Nachhaltigkeit / Environmental Education, Communication and Sustainability- Amount 34: 2012
- Alshuwaikhat. H. M, Abubakar I (2008)"A built-in approach to reaching campus sustainability: assessment if the current campus environmental management practice", Journal of Cleaner Production2008