You’ve worked hard to get a good degree and now you’ve made the decision to continue on a postgraduate course. Getting the place that you want means making a great application and one of the aspects of this is knowing how to write a personal statement for masters. A personal statement is part of the application of a masters degree. Basically, it is a sales pitch to get you an interview so that you can get onto the course that will further your career. It is not difficult but it is easy to weaken your case if you don’t add the right information.
In this article, you will learn:
- What you need to know before you start.
- What to include in a personal statement.
- How to structure your personal statement.
- Don’t ruin your chances.
- What to do if you need help.
There are three ideas that you have to grasp hold of before you start to write your personal statement. Making sure that you follow these will give you a head start.
- It is important to make sure that you write an original personal statement for each course that you apply for. It is amazing how many people miss out on university courses and also jobs because they send out a bog standard personal statement or cover letter. The reality of the situation is that application tutors read hundreds of them and they can spot a one size personal statement that fits all as easily as if it was highlighted with a bright yellow pen. In other words, don’t ruin your chances by mythical time saving because it doesn’t save you time at all.
- A typical personal statement for masters is approximately 500 words. However, courses differ and some can be more. The point here is to read all the criteria and requirements to each course and make sure that you follow them. You won’t impress anybody if you flaunt all the requirements, the application tutor will believe that you can’t be bothered and so your application will go no further.
- Don’t think you can do a rush job and no-one will notice. If you really want to get onto a particular course, you need to know how to write a personal statement for masters and you need to do it carefully.